47 Smith Street Marrickville, NSW 2204
Are you planning to relocate from Sydney to Melbourne? Moving interstate is an exciting but challenging experience. Whether you're moving for work, family, or lifestyle reasons, it's essential to be prepared and organised to make the transition as smooth as possible.
As a leading moving company, Men That Move understands the moving process and knows the challenges involved in relocating between two major cities like Sydney and Melbourne. That's why we've put together these three tips to help you make the move with ease.
Did you know Melbourne is predicted to become Australia's biggest city by 2031-32, according to new data from the Centre for Population. Despite losing some ground to Sydney due to an exodus of citizens during the pandemic, Melbourne is once again becoming the destination of choice for overseas and internal migrants. Melbourne is expected to overtake Sydney when the Victorian capital reaches a population of six million, beating its northern rival by a couple of hundred thousand people.
Are you moving from Sydney to Melbourne and want to know the cost of living difference? In 2023 the overall cost of living difference is 22% cheaper in Melbourne. The short of it is yes Melbourne is cheaper than Sydney, especially if you are renting. Overall you would need around $8,238 in Melbourne to maintain the same standard of living as you can have with $9,600 in Sydney (assuming you rent in both cities). But what does that actually mean in terms of day-to-day expenses? Well, let's take a look at some of the key differences in the cost of living between the two cities.
Firstly, consumer prices in Melbourne are 5.1% lower than in Sydney (without rent), which is a significant saving. However, when you factor in rent, the cost of living in Melbourne is actually 14.2% lower than in Sydney overall. That's because rent prices in Melbourne are a whopping 29.0% lower than in Sydney. But what about other expenses? Well, restaurant prices in Melbourne are only 2.1% lower than in Sydney, so you won't save a huge amount there. And while grocery prices in Melbourne are 1.0% higher than in Sydney, the difference is minimal.
Lastly, it's worth considering local purchasing power. This refers to how much you can buy with your money in each city. In Melbourne, local purchasing power is 1.8% lower than in Sydney, so you may find that your money doesn't go quite as far.
For Sydneysiders that do not know much about Melbourne, we have some suburb comparisons to help you decide which Melbourne suburb may be good to move to from your local Sydney suburb.
Newtown and Fitzroy
Both of these suburbs are known for their vibrant and alternative cultures, with plenty of cafes, bars, and live music venues. They are also home to many artists, students, and young professionals. The 2023 median house price in Fitzroy is around $1.5 million and the apartment price median is around $750,000. Compared to Newtown which is almost $1.7 million for a house and $725,000 for an apartment. If renting in Fitzroy the average price is $755 a week for a house and $550 for a unit. Fitzroy is a trendy inner-city suburb and a sought-after spot to live.
Bondi and St Kilda
Both of these suburbs are located near the coast and are popular among beachgoers and surfers. Though to be fair there is no surf in St Kilda, Melbourne surfers need to drive further out as the bay provides no surf. They have a relaxed and laid-back atmosphere, with plenty of trendy cafes, restaurants, and shops. St Kilda is home to a large demographic of people under 40. And there is usually always something to do here, like a trip to Luna Park, sunbaking on the beach, music festival or eating out. A lot of the architecture in St Kilda is Art Deco making it a unique and beautiful inner city suburb. The median house price and rents are similar to Fitzroy.
Paddington and Prahran
Fashion and nightlife are what these well-known Sydney and Melbourne suburbs have in common. Chapel Street in Prahran is known for its amazing boutique clothing shops and nightclubs. They are popular among young professionals and those who enjoy a more upscale lifestyle. The median house price is almost $1.8 and units are $560,000. The average rent is around $700.
Balmain and Brunswick
Known for a strong sense of community both of these suburbs also have historic architecture. You will find plenty of cafes, pubs and green spaces in Brunswick. It is almost mandatory to ride your bicycle to work here also. Both suburbs are similar in that they are popular among families and those who enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle. The median house price in Balmain is almost $2.5 million and in Brunswick, it's $1.3 million. And if renting a house it's over $900 in Balmain compared to $600 in Brunswick.
1. Plan Early: Begin planning at least 2-3 months before the move to ensure a smooth transition.
2. Declutter: Before packing, go through all your belongings and declutter. Decide what you want to keep, sell, donate, or dispose of.
3. Plan the Logistics: Start planning the logistics of your move, including hiring Men That Move, and booking your moving date.
4. Packing Supplies: Gather all the necessary packing supplies. Men That Move drops our enviro-friendly plastic boxes to your doorstep. So no need for a mountain of cardboard!
5. Pack Strategically: Pack your belongings strategically, starting with items that you rarely use and working your way towards the essentials. Label all boxes with their contents and room destination.
6. Notify Service Providers: Notify your service providers of your move, including your internet, cable, and utility companies, and arrange for disconnection and reconnection at your new home.
7. Notify Postal Services: Notify your postal services of your new address to ensure your mail is forwarded to your new home.
8. Keep Important Documents Safe: Keep all your important documents, such as passports, birth certificates, and medical records, in a safe place and carry them with you during the move.
9. Prepare for Your Car: If you’re driving to your new home, ensure your vehicles are in good condition and serviced before the move.
10. Confirm Details with Us: Confirm all the details with Men That Move, including the date and time of your move, payment, and insurance coverage.
11. Final Walkthrough: Do a final walkthrough of your home before leaving, ensuring that everything is packed and no items are left behind. Lock up and turn off all the utilities before leaving.